Adaptation of new approaches to develop cycling and cycling routes between Russia and Finland to improve safety, mobility and environment, and to promote social development (the case: Svetogorsk – Imatra cycle track) (KS1133 Cycling)
The main idea of the project is creation of a cycle path in the City of Svetogorsk and equipment of the BCP Svetogorsk at the Russian-Finnish border with elements of cycling infrastructure. The constructed cycling infrastructure will form the basis of the cycling route network in the area.
The project is implemented within the framework of the South-East Finland-Russia CBC with participation of the Russian Federation, Finland and the European Union. The Programme provides 80% of the total funding for the project, while the rest is contributed by the project partners.
Among project partners are: the municipal entity “Svetogorsk urban settlement” of the Leningrad region, Center for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment of the South-East Finland and City of Imatra.
The Directorate for Development of the St.Petersburg and Leningrad Region Transport System serves as the lead partner and project coordinator.
Besides construction of the cycle path, the following activities will be carried out within the project:
1. Completion of a research work "Development of an integrated approach to development of cycling and cycle routes in border regions"
2. Organization of a bike ride from St. Petersburg/Svetogorsk (Russia) to the City of Imatra (Finland).
3. Organization of seminars on cycling safety and development of cycling infrastructure.
4. Promotion activities for the project
The target group of the project are residents of border area on both sides of the border and tourists.
1. Equipment of the border check point with infrastructure for cyclists
2. Improvement of cycliing safety on roads near the border check point
3. Improvement of roads near the border check point
4. Development of integrated cycling network in border areas
5. Establishment of sustainable cycling connection between Svetogorsk and Imatra
6. Increased level of awareness about existing cycling routes in the area among Russian and Finnish citizens
7. Improvement of environmental conditions in the border areas
8. Improvement of quality of life in border areasProject status: Construction of cycling infrastructure in Svetogorsk.
1 979 050 €, including 1 583 240 € as a grant from the South-East Finland-Russia CBC
Head of Investment Policy and PPP Unit
Phone: +7 (812) 305-28-28 (1122)
Expert, Investment Policy and PPP Unit
Phone: +7 (812) 305-28-28 (1127)
- Municipal Entity “Svetogorsk Urban Settlement”
- City of Imatra
- Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment of the South-East Finland